Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day spent waiting for furniture delivery!

This morning Andrew and I drove over to the house at Haarlem. There we met with the Cartus representative, Emily (Natasha had another appointment today), our realtor Olivier, the landlords and their realtor. Together we went through the contract and signed paperwork. Then we walked through the house and the landlords told us everything they thought we'd need to know about the house. They asked if they could keep a few items of furniture in the house, and we said we didn't mind.

We left the house and went with Emily to the Town Hall to get our ID's. The contract we signed for the house is dated to begin January 2nd, so we couldn't get our ID's. So, we went to the UPC store and got everything we need for cable t.v., internet and a landline!

When we were done there, we left some things at the house. Andrew left for work and I stayed at the house to wait on a furniture delivery from IKEA which was due between 1400 and 1700hrs.  Since it was only about noon, I walked downtown to get something for lunch, where I had a yummy "warm vlees" (pork) sandwich with spicy peanut sauce:


After lunch, I walked back to the house and thought I'd put the hamper together.  I got everything out and discovered that the one tool I left at home (the hammer!) I needed!




I did discover that the oven in the house is larger than most Dutch ovens!  Yipppeee!


The furniture delivery guys showed up at around 1730hrs.  After they left, I headed back to the apartment. I walked to the Haarlem Central train station, then took the train to Amsterdam Central, then went out and got on Tram #5. All that took about a hour and 15 minutes.

When I got back, Andrew and I had to pack up the apartment and bring our last load of belongings over to the house.  While we were running back and forth from the apartment to the car we locked ourselves out of the apartment!  So, we called security and they had to come and let us back in. While we were sitting there waiting we decided to drink a small bottle of Genever which happened to be in one of the boxes we had brought down! Genever is a Dutch liquor.  We finally got back to the apartment around 2230hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment