Tuesday, December 6, 2011

House hunting yesterday....

Last night my computer ran out of juice and I discovered I didn't have the right plugs to plug it in here. Now that I'm back on-line I'll catch you up with my day yesterday!

Natasha (our realtor) picked me up at 11:00 yesterday morning.  We drove out to a town south of Amsterdam called Amstelveen.  She showed me two houses there: #1 was a four bedroom and #2 was a five bedroom. Both of them were okay, but not in a quaint area that I picture us living in. Also, both of them were too big for our needs.

House #1:


House #2:




On we went to the town of Haarlem, which is about 13 miles west of Amsterdam. As soon as we entered the town, my first thought was "we could live here"!  It's like a mini Amsterdam, without all the traffic. We looked at two homes there: #3 a two bedroom on near Haarlem Centrum, and #4 a two bedroom on the south end of town.

House #3:

House #4:

All of the houses we looked at have stairs. The stairs in the Netherlands are nothing like in the U.S. Because they try to make the most of every inch of space, their stairs are very narrow and steep. To go up and down you have to turn your feet sideways!  We aren't sure if the dog will be able to maneuver them, but we've decided he can have his bed on the lower floor if necessary.  All of these homes have what they call a "garden". They are very small yards, usually paved.  There is always a concern about parking, so that will have to be settled with confirmation of a permit before we agree to rent anywhere.

I have decided that I'm going to go without a car here, at least to begin with. So, we're trying to locate a place to live that has convenient public transportation, either bus, Metro or the Tram.

Natasha and I stopped for a wonderful lunch at a place in Haarlem.  Afterwards we walked around in Haarlem Centrum.  What a lovely town!  All the charm of Amsterdam, but smaller!  Here are a few pictures:





Every Monday and Saturday there is an outside market downtown Haarlem where you can buy fresh fruit, vegetables and of course, flowers!

This morning I got a map from the front desk here at the apartments and I went downtown Amsterdam to buy a plug for my computer.  I took Tram #5 to Museumplein, got off and walked around the corner and caught Tram #24 to Muntplein. Natasha had told me about a store called "Aurora" where you can buy all kinds of electronic supplies. They had exactly what I needed!


I walked around for a bit, but it started to hail and rain so I decided it was best to head "home"....brrrrrrrrr!  I took Tram #24 from Muntplein back to Tram #5 at Museumplein and got off at my stop:  Van Boshuizenstraat.  Whew-that's a mouthful!

On the way "home" I stopped at a little market and bought what I now know (Natasha helped me identify the products I need!) are dishsoap, laundry detergent, and fabric softener.

Things I learned today:

1. Yes, I am directionally challenged, but I can get around just fine if I have a good map!
2. a.u.b. means alstublieft in Dutch. You see the abbreviation everywhere-it means "if you please".
3. I learned how to operate a Miele induction cooktop and a Miele microwave/oven combination. My next appliance to conquer is the Siemens washer/dryer combination. They certainly make the most of limited space!
4. I will definitely need to take conversational Dutch classes. I can't read the signs, can't read directions on packages, can't understand conversations, etc. Very frustrating!





No comments:

Post a Comment