Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dutch Lessons-Oh myyyy!

Happy 4th of July to those in the U.S.!  We're going to miss the festivities and fireworks.......Maybe we'll put our hotdogs in a can on the grill tonight!?!?!  Hmmmmm...I'll have to think about that!

Well, I am finding that learning to speak Dutch is very difficult!  Ha! Whoever said it would be easy?!?!?  My next door neighbor is a teacher and she is giving a Dutch class to three of us. Yesterday was our first lesson. Class is 2.5 hours twice a week for 5 weeks. By the time we were done yesterday my head was spinning...literally!  Since my brain injury I find that stress affects me and being overwhelmed with new information is very taxing. Sooooo, when we were done with class I took a nap for an hour and a half, then went right into doing my homework. If I take a break from it every few hours it isn't as bad, and it gives me time to absorb what I'm learning. I'm already finding that I'm dreaming about the words and phrases I've learned. Yiiiiikes!


This evening Andrew and I went on a nice walk with Sammy through the Haarlemmerhout (Haarlem Woods). On our way we saw:
"Man in front of a firing squad", memorial by Mari Andriessen to commemorate 15 innocent victims chosen at random who were shot there by German occupational forces on March 7, 1945, Dreef, Haarlem
We don't know why there were so many flowers around the memorial today......

We saw this in the woods! A snowman carved from the tree!


A couple of days ago we went for a bike ride around town.......it's such a beautiful place to live!


No comments:

Post a Comment