Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The passing of a loved one...

On October 21st, I spoke with my daughter in California and she told me that my father-in-law, Tullio, (her grandfather) had passed away at 12:55p.m. He was in a Board and Care home in San Jose, CA because he needed 24 hour care, which none of us could provide. While I was in the States a few weeks ago, we paid him a visit. He was coherent, up and around, and seemed in good spirits....it was good to see him. While I was there we moved his desk and computer out, since he no longer used them.

Shortly after I left California I went to Delaware to visit my son and his family. During that time, Tullio came down with pneumonia again. As I was leaving to go back to Europe (home), my son planned a trip to CA to see his grandfather. I drove my son to the airport...he headed west and I headed east. Tullio was released from the hospital a few days after being diagnosed with pneumonia...this time in hospice. Thankfully, my son was able to see his grandfather while he was lucid. He and his sister spent a few days with him while spending evenings in a nearby hotel.

My daughter took on a lot and cared for Tullio quite a bit in my absence. She has been a Godsend.....



No comments:

Post a Comment