Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Life is good in the Netherlands

Sooooooo......I have been living in Haarlem for 8 1/2 months now. Andrew has been here for 14 1/2 months. I can't believe how fast the time is flying now. For me, the first six months was a time of adjusting. Now I feel like this is home......

I do need to make sure I take a multi-vitamin and Vitamin D daily. It's very often gray, cold and gloomy here. I've noticed if I take my vitamins I feel much more energetic than when I forget to take them.

My wonderful friend Hetty told me once that now I have two countries...and now I realize she is right!  I am so blessed!

We have found that overall this has been a great experience!  We have enjoyed meeting new people and making new friends. We do miss our children tremendously. We do call them with Skype and we write a lot of letters. Of course, there's nothing like "being there".....Thank goodness for the internet!

Yesterday I went into Amsterdam to get more pods for our Nespresso machine. Louise had recommended a paper store in Amsterdam when I told her that we needed some nice stationery to write letters....so I went there too!

It's called "Vlieger Papier". The business has been there since 1869!  http://vliegerpapier.nl/

There is quite a nice array of paper available there....many hand made. What a fun place to shop!

As I was heading towards the tram to go home I saw a sign for an American Indian display at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam. What an unlikely place to have something like that! Since I wasn't in a rush, I decided to check it out.




The collection on display was smaller than I thought it would be, which was a little disappointing...some was quite cute. They had a few television monitors set up where they were showing old "western" cartoons.....in Dutch! I'd never seen an American Indian speaking Dutch!  The art collection was very good...they had pottery, paintings, wood carvings, baskets, etc. on display.

The Nieuwe Kerk is a 15th century church. The official program for the abdication and investiture will take place on 30 April 2013 there. Queen Beatrix will sign the Instrument of Abdication at the Royal Palace, Amsterdam. The investiture of Willem-Alexander as king will then take place at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam. It was wonderful to see the inside of the church where this will take place. They are expecting record crowds for the ceremony.....soooo most likely Andrew and I will not be going to Amsterdam. We will stay in Haarlem and celebrate from a distance!

While I was walking home from the train station in Haarlem, I took a few pictures of bicycles and others unusual "modes of transportation" and thought I'd share a few!











I had a hankering for an apple pie.....soooooo....I made one when I got home! Yummy!



While I was relaxing this morning....Socrates was sitting in his new favorite spot in the window!!!

One of our tulips in the house...We love buying new flowers every week!!!  Flowers flowers everywhere...love it!


We also went for a walk in the woods today....the flowers are starting to peak out!!!





The paths in the woods are being "repaved" with shells!  



No comments:

Post a Comment