Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Elfstedentocht 2012?!?

For the first time since 1997 the Dutch are preparing for the Elfstedentocht. This is a race that takes place on the icy canal going through 11 cities in north Holland.  Over 16,000 competitors are hoping to participate this year.  There are still some areas of the route that aren't quite frozen through, so there are people along the way constantly checking the thickness of the ice with poles and metal spikes.

To participate in the race you have to be a member of the Elfstedentocht association. There are currently about 30,000 members, but only around 16,000 will be allowed to skate. They start in Leeuwarden at around 0500hrs.  The record was set in 1985 by a farmer by the name of Evert van Benthem with a time of 6 hours and 47 minutes.  We should know in the next couple of days if this race is going to happen. Sure feels cold enough to me!!!




Today I found an organic store to buy groceries.  I found some butternut squash and some Heldere Kippenbouillon (chicken bouillon) so I could make soup! The stores apparently don't carry chicken stock in cans.  Since I couldn't read the instructions for the bouillon I did it by taste.....it worked!  For dinner we had potato leek soup and chicken breasts.

The cold Andrew had has now spread to me........I took a nap again today, hoping to stave it off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment