Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Yep, still dizzy.....my "New Normal"

The other day Andrew asked me if I'm still dizzy (from my auto accident that occurred over two years ago), since I rarely say anything about it anymore. Yep, still dizzy! I have just chosen to stop complaining about it, because it doesn't change a thing!  Sometimes, the dizziness is so bad I can barely stand it...I just want to put my head down and block everything out visually and auditorily. But, instead, I just carry on. Every now and then I have to pause what I'm doing till my head stops spinning.....or go away from crowds and excessive noise. I have a new sensation now of falling backwards. Sometimes I'll just be sitting there and get that feeling-it can be very disconcerting. Most of the time I just put up with it. If I make sure I get enough rest it's not as bad, but I'm still having trouble staying asleep all night!  I wake up in the middle of the night most evenings and can't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. The cobblestone and brick buildings are full of "patterns" which make me dizzy, also all the leaves on the ground in the woods is difficult to walk through-but I do it anyway.

I have come to a place in my recovery where I am starting to accept that maybe this is as much as I'll recover. I'm still doing the "eye exercises", but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. As the saying goes......this is "my new normal"!  If you see me stumbling around and/or suddenly slowing down my walking pace, it's because I'm having a bad "spell".  Thanks be to God that I'm still alive and up and around.

No comments:

Post a Comment