Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Grocery shopping (boodschappen) in Haarlem

Because there is little space in the refrigerator and cabinets in our kitchen, I make at least three trips to the grocery store a week. To get everything I need I usually go to 3-4 different stores.

Usually I walk to the store furthest from the house to start my shopping, that way I don't have to carry all of my purchases so far!

I usually start at DEKAMARKT on the Gedemente Oude Gracht. There I sometimes buy meat, and compare prices on products like t.p., cleaning supplies, etc. to Albert Heijn.

then I go a couple of doors down to MARQT. Most products there are 'BIO' (biologische in Dutch) (organic in English), or from local farmers. It's a beautiful store with a nice variety of fresh produce, fish, cheeses, breads, etc. They also carry a lot of other organic products on their shelves. I usually like to buy my bread there.

There is a little store called VATAN  around the corner that sells a nice selection of produce....annnd I can get Naan bread there! It's the only place I've seen it!


If we need beer I will stop at MELGERS. They have probably so many varieties of beer it's difficult to make a choice!  You can purchase beers one bottle at a time.  It's a nice way to try different brands! They also carry liquor, wine and champagne.
When we buy wine we usually go to OKHUYSEN. They have a nice variety of wines from around the world (except the U.S.!), and they're very helpful.



My next stop is usually MABROUK. This is a shop that reminds me of Trader Joe's in the U.S., but on a smaller scale. The shelves are packed with products from all over the world! What a treasure!!!  They're always bringing in new things, so it makes it fun to shop there.
If I need anything at the post office I stop at the POSTNL.

Then I usually head over to Albert Heijn (A.H.), where I buy quite a few things. It's close to home, so I don't have far to walk from there. I buy bottled water, milk, sometimes bread, etc. It's a small store, but they have a pretty good selection of products.  The more I educate myself on the harmful effects of eating produce that is non-BIO, the more I tend to shy away from non-organic produce. A.H. is starting to carry more BIO produce.
The other day the recycling bins were being emptied and I got pictures....it's a pretty neat way to recycle!  I usually bring a bag of recycling down there a couple of times a week. Paper, Plastic and glass can be recycled here. The only things I haven't found a place to recycle are aluminum and batteries. Every Sunday the bins are full!


My last stop for groceries is the NATUUR WINKEL and/or STAN ALKEMADE. They are both organic.....STAN ALKEMADE is a butcher and the NATUUR WINKEL is a store that carries organic produce and other products. They are nice stores, but sometimes a little pricey. That's why I shop around!

Sometimes to get everything I need I end up walking about two miles. At times I need to make two trips out, because there's just too much to carry. Andrew and I take the car once a month up to a large Albert Heijn (in North Haarlem) to buy heavy products, like laundry detergent, etc. Andrew also goes with me when there are heavy items to carry. Always nice to get a helping hand!!!

*Andrew and I like to go to the cheese shop in town once every couple of weeks. Our favorite store is TROMP.  The employees are very helpful and they have a very nice selection of different cheeses. They also usually have cheeses out to taste, which is always nice if it's new to you.
We sometimes buy bread there also.


Andrew and I go to the open market in the Grote Markt every weekend. That is where we buy fresh flowers, sausages, turkey, etc. There are some good butchers that sell "free range" products, which is wonderful!









On the weekends we usually make a stop at the Havana House, which is a very nice smoke shop in Haarlem.






*To get sliced pastrami, I go to JAMON JAMON, which is a Spanish deli. They also have some yummy tapas and make nice sandwiches.  (sorry, no picture!)


I brought this here from CA...makes me smile when I look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment