Friday, January 6, 2012

36 years ago......

Wellllllllllll...it's been 36 years since I came to California!  I had joined the Army National Guard a year before I came to CA, went to Fort Jackson, South Carolina for boot camp in July of 1975....


and then on to Fort McClellan, Alabama for Military Police training.


 Joining the Army opened up the world for me! I met and worked with people from all over the country. 


The training was strenuous and sometimes grueling, but I sure grew up during that time, and I was in great shape! Later in the year, 1975, I decided to go "regular" Army. 


So, I signed papers and my orders sent me to Presidio, San Francisco!  I vividly remember my ride from the airport to the base on January 6, 1976.  I asked the person driving to please stop at the beach...annnny beach....because I wanted to see the ocean!  I had come from Minnesota where is was cold, cold, cold, and in the middle of the country!  It was probably 50 degrees in San Francisco, but it felt warm to me!  We stopped at a beach (I don't remember which one it was) and I took my shoes off and walked in the water! The person I was with thought I was looney-because he was freezing!

On we drove to the base.  This is a picture of one of the barracks buildings I lived in:


From the base we could see the Golden Gate Bridge! At night we would listen to the fog horns.....which is very soothing.


I would ride my bicycle or drive down to Fort Point and just sit and watch the waves and have lunch!


I would jog across the Golden Gate bridge at times too! What a beautiful site.  The weather there seems to be opposite of the norm. It is very nice in the spring and fall, but summers can be very chilly!

Ahhhhhh.....memories.........the past 36 years have flown by!

No comments:

Post a Comment